Secrets and lies

I've never been good at keeping secrets or telling lies, which, depending on your perspective could make me a decent person or an utter failure. I'll never manage to conceal an affair, embezzle funds or even convince people I've been somewhere I haven't.

Being an 'open book' may have it's disadvantages - I'll never be a politician or a lawyer (sorry Mum), but I think the trade off is far better. My Dad used to tell me whenever I left the house to 'do all you can that's right', and that's a policy that's never done me harm.

I do occasionally try to keep secrets or to 're-interpret' the truth, but I'm so poor at it that the gig is up before I even begin. This forced honesty keeps me in line - if I could get away with lying to everyone all the time, why wouldn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment