Domestic Goddess - the hunt continues

On Sunday morning I had another crack at embroidery...it turns out lack of practise hadn't improved my skills, I'm still no good. I decided I'd have to do something else 'domestic goddessy' to repair my damaged self image...surely cooking couldn't be that hard, right?

I checked out a few recipes and decided on Jamie Oliver's Chilli Con Carne and the Central Cookbooks Banana loaf, which I decided to turn into muffins 'cos I've lost my loaf tin.

My poor housemate was extremely concerned that seeing as I'm vegetarian (kind of), she might have to eat all the chilli....I considered stringing her along, but as you already know I'm a really bad liar.

It was at this point I realised that to cook stuff, you need ingredients and seeing as mice had raided our cupboard the night before this meant a trip to the supermarket - yay, a chance to show off my awesome man-repelling pants in public (see below)!

After a very confusing trip to the supermarket (who knew there were so many different types of mince!) it was time to get cooking...hmmm. Seeing as it was nowhere near dinner time, I decided to make the muffins first. This went surprisingly well...there were a few splatters of orange zest on the walls and a bit of flour on the floor, but not too bad for a first effort.

The muffins lulled me into a false sense of security. I chopped away at the ingredients for the chilli con carne (i.e. lots of chilli) like a masterchef, then went in to brag to Luci about how well it was going whilst rubbing my eye with my chilli laden fingers....ouch. Ok, so cooking isn't for the faint of heart...or skin (NB. there are no photos from here on in because I don't want you to laugh at me).  After that I kind of lost interest in the whole cooking thing, which turned out ok 'cos all that was left to do was put it in a pot and wait for ages...and a bit of stirring.

In the end the Chilli was actually pretty good, I managed to eat a whole bowl of it. This is the second time in living memory that I've eaten cow, so an awesome effort on my part. I couldn't believe how much energy I had the next day - I guess people do the whole eating meat thing for a reason.

Next week I'm going to try bolognaise!

2 comments:

  1. I hate to bring bad news, but I'm pretty sure you've eaten cow a whole lot of times - you know how you said you used to believe that steak grows on trees? ... Well, cows are a type of tree, right? Still an awesome effort to do it knowingly though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I think I should have added knowingly to that statement...I've probably accidentally eaten a lot of cows in dumplings too.

    ReplyDelete